Saturday, September 29, 2012

A pretty cake without artificial dyes?


We all know that the juice from blackberries & blueberries will make purple, and that beets will make pink & red, right? Well, consider this your ***TIP if you did not know! Today's mommy challenge is this...my son, Patrick, wants a Titanic ship cake. ***tip alert: Christina, his sitter, presented a wonderful idea of breaking a toy ship in half & making it "sink" into a cake! My dilemma with that? My son will want the art on it! You know the kind...with all that refined sugar in traditional birthday cakes...yeah, the stuff that I personally eat in the closet some nights...yes I AM human too!  I LOVE this stuff!  SHHHHHHH!  My kids can't know!!!  And although I refuse the artificial stuff, I might have to give a little on sugar this time...for the sake of having a nicely decorated cake! 
And shame on me for doubting my own tenacity last year, as I accomplished the impossible...I made a gluten & dairy free chocolate cake, and the best part?  It didn't taste like eating into an O-Cel-O cleaning sponge! The first gfcf cake was dubbed the "sugar daddy cake" because why? Well, it tasted like one! The sad part? I wasn't blogging & saving recipes so it's been misplaced! Big sad face!
Case in point...I made it happen and I DID include my "sneaky chef" ideas to that cake! It had no refined sugars, and it included blackbeans in the cake part & blueberries inside the icing...and yes you are still reading a blog post about making dessert! Stay tuned as I figure out this year's birthday cake adventure...you might learn a thing or two!
And oh...since a picture is worth a thousand words....by the look on Patrick's face, & Sydney's messy one, I think they liked it!



No comments:

Post a Comment